Grief and Coping with the Effects of the loss of a Child:
- Healing After Loss by Martha Hickman
Daily meditations for working through grief
Grief Recovery for those who have lost due to substance abuse: A community of support and healing
By Mom and for moms. Changing the dynamics where love and addiction meet.
- When a Child Dies From Drugs by Pat Wittberger
This book offers strength, practical advice and an aid in grief recovery for parents and families.
- Healing a Parent's Grieving Heart by Alan Wolfelt
Simple yet effective methods for coping and healing, this book provides answers and relief to parents trying to deal with the loss of a child.
2nd Tuesday of each month - Grief Support Group For Individuals Who Have Lost A Loved One To The Drug Crisis
3rd Tuesday of each month - Outreach Support Group For Individuals Who Have A Loved Suffering From Addiction
Both at 7:00pm at the Fitness Center by Haywood County Hospital
Resources for Treatment for a Loved One with Substance Abuse Disorder
- *Meridian Behavioral Health Services
Providing Recovery-Oriented and Outcome-Driven Behavioral Healthcare to Western North Carolina
- *Appalachian Community Services in WNC
ACS is a group of highly trained professionals dedicated to promoting the emotional and physical well being of the community members in a safe and respectful environment.
- *NC Department of Health and Human Services
Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services
- *Youth Villages, the Force for Families
We give children and youth a safe, supportive environment to heal and move forward.
- *More Powerful NC: Overpowering the Epidemic
This is a full informational website. Resources, treatment, education and initiatives in NC
- *NC Harm Reduction Coalition
Engages in grassroots advocacy, resource development, coalition building and direct services for people impacted by drug use, overdose, HIV and hepatitis. They also provide resources and support to law enforcement.
- *The Willows at Red Oak Recovery
A Sanctuary Where Young Women Can Begin Recovery. Dynamic and transformative trauma-based clinical care for women. FREE rehab for women/teens and families.
- *Kaitlynne's House Recovery Program
A Christ centered, healing focused program for mothers. Focusing on mothers who have lost their children, losing their children or fighting for their children due to their addictions. Located in Clyde, NC
- *LifeWorks Christian Women’s Job Corps
Women from many different walks of life can face unexpected circumstances and find themselves in need of assistance. Life Enrichment classes are offered in 8 week segments. The perfect transitional classes from homelessness to productive members of the community.
- *Eleanor Health
The mission at Eleanor Health is to help people struggling with addiction live amazing lives. The commitment to their health and well-being is unwavering and without judgment.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Collects information on thousands of state-licensed providers who specialize in treating substance use disorders, addiction, and mental illness.
- Blunt Therapy
Seven myths about addiction you need to stop believing right now.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Works to reduce the impact of the most common mental health and substance use disorders on America's communities.
- Magnolia New Beginnings
Dedicated to advocating for those affected by Substance Use Disorder, as well as their families and loved ones.
- Find Help Addiction Policy
Addiction is treatable, Recovery is Possible. The addiction policy forum resource database supports patients, families, and providers with critical information about addiction and connects them to quality treatment and recovery resources through our vetted database.
- We The Village
An interactive online support group. It is a platform to ask questions and get answers. A wide range of topics from pre-recovery, early recovery, self-care, grief to long term recovery.
* Centers that are local to Waynesville, NC regional area
Podcasts, Books and Articles for Loss and SUD
- Collateral Damage - podcast
Discusses the impact of addiction in our lives, our families, and within our communities nationwide
- Mom Power: Changing the Dynamics Where Love and Addiction Meet - podcasts
Numerous podcasts from different perspectives.
- Last Day - Lemonada - podcast
Lemonada co-founder and author Stephanie Wittels Wachs confronts massive epidemics...Starting with overdose deaths and the opioid crisis, we zoom in on a person's last day of life.
- In Recovery - podcast
It’s time to shift our thinking away from 28 days and onto recovery for life. This is your weekly go-to for any and all questions about addiction, treatment, mental health, recovery, and everything in between.
- Clean by David Scheff - book
Overcoming addiction and ending America's greatest tragedy
- When a Child Dies From Drugs by Pat Wittberger - book
Written by parents to help other parents. This book offers strength, practical advice and an aid in grief recovery for parents and families.
- If You Love Me by Maureen Cavanagh - book
A Mother's Journey Through Her Daughter's Opioid Addiction - A gripping memoir of a mother who suddenly finds herself on the frontlines of the opioid epidemic as her daughter battles substance use disorder.
- Healing a Parent's Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas After Your Child Dies - book
Simple yet highly effective methods for coping and healing.
Helpful Private and Public Facebook Groups
The SHARE Project Public Page
The Addicts Mom - Both public and private pages
- The Addicts Mom North Carolina Chapter
- The Addicts Mom - Grieving Moms
- GRASP - Grief Recovery for Those who have loss due to substance abuse
- Magnolia New Beginnings
- Magnolia Addiction Support - also has a NC page
- Can You See Me Now
- Humanizing Addiction
- Drug Epidemic Awareness Walk Across America
- Broken No More